We had 40 players participating in the October 2018 quiz.
Congratulations to Ernie Tradewell who won the event with a score of 470 points (out of a possible 500). He receives a free game, valid at local clubs, courtesy of Unit 431.
To see all results, scroll to the bottom of this page (after Comments).
If you would like to see what the experts bid on these deals, look in the November 2018 Bridge Bulletin (page 40). The e-version should be available around November 1st (logon to MyACBL on ACBL‘s website). The print edition usually arrives in your mailbox during the first week of the month.
The November 2018 edition of It’s Your Call, Victoria is now posted on the website. All Unit 431 members in good standing may participate. Click here to play the November game.
If you want to reply or add your own comments, please send them to the webmaster. They will be added at the end of each problem in blue.
- Roy Banner: 3S – i want more info.. 4h is the mimimum I want to play but better from this side
- Tony Farr: 5H – You need to know north’s controls, but can’t let north be the first to bid hearts
- Lorna Smith: Double – If partner bids d’s I’ll bid 3n. If she bids h’s or doubles again I’ll bid 4h’s
- Dave Todd: 5H – 5H, whatever it means. I hope it means, how good are your hearts.
- Ernie Tradewell: 4H – i want to look for 6 but no easy way. Take my plus
- Burton Voorhees: 5H – I would have opened 1H originally, but as is with partner’s negative double I’m thinking slam, if bid from my side. Partner will bid 6H holding the A and Q and pass otherwise.
- Roy Banner: 4D – splinter, see if partner has a 4h cue bid
- Lorna Smith: 3C – I’ll jump to 3c’s showing strength and length. If partner has a h stopper she might bid 3h’s or 3nt
- Dave Todd: 2H – 4S, giving up on slam unless partner makes a move, we need a combination of solid spades and a heart control to make slam.
- Lionel Traverse: 4D – splinter, looking for slam if p controls first round H.
- Roy Banner: 2D – Transport may have issues… see how much p has..
- Lorna Smith: Redouble – I plan to bid’d to show 1st round control then 4n for h’s or jump to 5d if partner plays exclusion blackwood. partner has no useful ace so I’ll bid 5n if partner plays specific (cheapest) k
- Glen Thornborough: Multiple bids – forget the pass: 6H is my bid
- Dave Todd: 3D – 6H, bid what I think will make, giving up on 7.
- Lionel Traverse: 4D – splinter, looking for slam.
- Burton Voorhees: 2D – I’m guessing east is 4-4-4-1. I’ve forced partner to bid so need more information, 2D is temporizing.
- Roy Banner: Multiple bids – probably won’t make.. but they likely have game or more. 5D might be the better SAC
- Lorna Smith: 5D – partner should have kq d’s and 1 defensive trick so with ace 5th and 12 d’s we should be down 3 or less so I’ll bid 5 and pray
- Dave Todd: 6D – 6D. Vulnerability makes us leery of the 6 level, still, the must be able to make 6 or 7 in 3 different suits. Down 5 is -1400, 6 of a major is 1430. Have to maximize the pressure on them.
- Lionel Traverse: 4D – Non Vuln I would bid 5D
- Burton Voorhees: Pass – Too weak for any further bid.
- Roy Banner: 4N – long H… likley no S for his bid.. and more than likely a D fit.. keycards are all we need to know really
- Lorna Smith: 4N – Looks like we have a play for slam
- Dave Todd: 4S – 4S, must make a move towards slam, partner believes hearts is our spot, I know he’ll like my Aces.
- Burton Voorhees: 4N – Find out about key cards. With fantasies of partner showing 2 with Q.
Name Total Score
Ernie Tradewell 470
Name withheld 420
Michael Cockerell 420
denis johnston 400
Name withheld 390
Brenda Fox 370
Holly Boudreau 370
Caleb Meyer 360
ruth davies 360
Name withheld 340
Heather Cozens 340
Lionel Traverse 340
john miller 320
Mike Black 320
Name withheld 310
Name withheld 300
Eleanor Calder 300
Name withheld 290
Name withheld 290
Eileen Lugossy 290
Ray Wickland 290
Bob MacDonald 280
Bree Watts 280
Bryan Grover 270
Lorna Smith 270
Name withheld 260
Don Copeland 260
Edmund Patterson 260
Tony Farr 260
Brenda Wilson 250
Roy Banner 240
Tom Goodchild 240
Name withheld 230
James Macdonnell 210
Burton Voorhees 190
Dave Todd 170
Glen Thornborough 160
Name withheld 140
Cliff Kindree 140
Rob Feldstein 140