Forty-eight players submitted results for July.
The winner is Bob MacDonald with an almost perfect score of 490 (out of a possible 500). This is Bob’s third time winning since June 2019. The prize is a free game at VICTORIA CLUBS on BBO.
To see all results, scroll to the bottom of this page (after Comments).
If you would like to know how the experts bid on these deals, open the August 2020 Bridge Bulletin around page 40. The e-version should be available by August 1 (logon to MyACBL on ACBL’s website). The print edition usually arrives in your mailbox during the first week of the month.
The August 2020 edition of It’s Your Call, Victoria is now posted on the website. All Unit 431 members may participate. Click here to play the current game.
If you want to reply or add your own comments, please send them to the webmaster. They will be added at the end of each problem in blue.
- Duncan Smith: 3C – Catering to Jxxxx xxx Axxx x
- Sheila Kaye: 4S – Since partner can’t have more than 8 points for his 1 level response to the double, slam is not an option.
- Gayle Good: 4S – Why wouldn’t South just bid 1 Spade instead of doubling on the 1st round?
- nancy baal: 4S – losers in clubs, prd may be void, kd; 2-3 losers.
- James Macdonnell: 4S – Signing off at 4 spades is advisable, since there is a danger that west is void in clubs and can ruff the opening club lead. If East also has the Ace of diamonds east-west can score the first three tricks.
- Van Buchanan: 5C – Want to bid 3NT but the double on my right stopped me. Tempted to bid 6C.
- Duncan Smith: 3N – What I’d have bid on previous round
- Sheila Kaye: 3N – Assuming partner’s 3 S shows a spade stopper.
- nancy baal: 3N – 2spade bid?? asking for stopper? guess at 3nt
- Peter Lighthall: 3N – 3NT is a gamble with the short heart suit, but probablythe best chance for game
- Duncan Smith: 3S – Not sure where , but we’ll bid game
- nancy baal: Pass – no suit. dbl higher bid of H or S
- Duncan Smith: 2H – Same comment as # 3
- Van Buchanan: 3D – Sheesh!
- Duncan Smith: 3H – Matchpoints is a crazy game. Not waiting for text book 3H bid
- nancy baal: 1H – club void eliminates a 3H bid as opener.
- Bill Birney: 3H – 6 losers, vulnerable down 2