We had 41 players for the March quiz.
Bill Gibson won with 480 points out of a possible 500. He receives a free play, valid at local clubs, courtesy of Unit 431.
To see all results, scroll to the bottom of this page (after Comments).
If you would like to know how the experts bid on these deals, open the April 2020 Bridge Bulletin to page 40. The e-version should be available around April 3 (logon to MyACBL on ACBL’s website). The print edition usually arrives in your mailbox during the first week of the month.
The April 2020 edition of It’s Your Call, Victoria is now posted on the website. All Unit 431 members in good standing may participate. Click here to play the current game.
If you want to reply or add your own comments, please send them to the webmaster. They will be added at the end of each problem in blue.
- Mike Hargreaves: 6D – Partner has no diamond control yet is still looking for slam. Grand is possible. I will pass 6S
- Duncan Smith: 6D – Prefer 6 D to previous 6 C bid.
- Sheldon Spier: 6D – Not many points, but great shape. I’m going to 6 and seeing if Pd has any more extras than already mentioned
- David Todd: 6D – Passing the buck
- Ernie Tradewell: 6D – Do we have a grand here? Pard has made two attempts. 6D does not close any doors
- Mike Hargreaves: 5C – Vulnerable, at imps, we stretch to bid game. Partner may well have a stiff spade.
- James Macdonnell: 4N – If North responds 5 Clubs, South can leave it there, but if North goes 5 Diamonds (1 Ace) South can go 6 Clubs.
- Duncan Smith: 4S – Even 7C is cold opposite the “magic” hand.
- Sheldon Spier: 4S – Don’t need much from Pd for 6C. Not playing in 3NT, even though almost certainly makes
- Ernie Tradewell: 3N – This may not be the winning panel bid but the most pragmatic.
- Mike Hargreaves: Pass – It’s a guess. We’re not ruffing spades, playing in hearts, since my LHO is likely overruffing. I’ll try for the notrump bonus, but game (while possible) seems too much of a gamble Plus scores are important at mps
- Duncan Smith: 3N – ? unanimity ?
- Sheldon Spier: Pass – Hmm..if vul imps, might say 3NT.
- Ernie Tradewell: No Bid – 3 hearts or 4 hearts that is the question.. MPs you want to go plus therefore 3h
- Mike Hargreaves: 6D – If partner is only 4=4,he has extra values. Even KQxx xx QJxx xxx gives us good play. He won’t have 3 hearts: with that, he raises
- Duncan Smith: 6D – What I think we can make.
- Sheldon Spier: 4C – Great hand for slam, probably in D. Let’s hear what Pd says.
- Mike Hargreaves: 2H – 2C promises another bid, so we don’t need to do anything drastic yet. Our hearts aren’t good enough for 3H and are too,long for 3C. Meanwhile 2S merely creates confusion next round
- Edmund Patterson: 2H –
- Duncan Smith: 3C – Will pull 3NT to 4H.
- Sheldon Spier: 2S – Into sure where we are going. Usually a 7 card suit is trump, but not 100% sure here yet. Game for sure,